Smoking disappeared from public places not only because state legislatures or city governments banned it, but because a rising tide of people began to argue that secondhand smoke was damaging the health of millions of people. I’m convinced that within a few years the use of fragrances in all forms will almost disappear from the … Continue reading Welcome to My Fragrance-Free Workplaces Blog
This post is a follow-up to the June 6 post in which Chris described what happened when he fell head first down his basement steps. I am going to rehab for my shoulder three days a week. It is tough. There are no public places that MCS folks can visit safely, so when the … Continue reading Chris Markham’s description of his physical therapy after his terrible fall
Margaret Ressler's story appeared in my 2008 book titled Amputated Lives: Coping with Chemical Sensitivity I was the assistant to the head of a crew of about thirty people. I was a medic and was also responsible for lunch. It was up to me to organize everything. Every morning we got on the boat … Continue reading Margaret Ressler’s story: A life changed forever by working in the Exxon Valdez cleanup
This story, written by Daniel's mother, Sara Cramer, appears in my 2008 book titled Amputated Lives: Coping with Chemical Sensitivity. My son Daniel committed suicide in 2005. What makes his life note-worthy is the way he had to live it. In the fall of 1993, Daniel was a nine-year-old student in the fourth grade … Continue reading Daniel Brainerd’s story: A youth’s sad battle to cope with chemical sensitivity after school renovation
By the spring of 2004, I was worn out, yet still felt driven to find a solution to this nightmare. I had lost my belongings three more times because they had been contaminated by chemical or mold exposures. I had lost my sense of identity and no longer even had my pictures or journals … Continue reading Jill Sverdlove’s 9/11 Exposure: Part II
Jill Sverdlove's story appeared in my 2008 book Amputated Lives: Coping with Chemical Sensitivity, which can be purchased through my personal website on this page or on Kindle. Her beautifully written account illustrates in a vivid way the various mistakes that chemically sensitive people so often make as they are desperately trying to regain their … Continue reading Jill Sverdlove’s 9/11 Exposure: Part I
Late last night I received from Chris the alarming email below. This morning he gave me his permission to post it on this blog. If you haven't seen Chris on my Fragrance-Free Workplaces film, I urge you to do so in order to better understand his current plight. Hi Alison, I am sorry … Continue reading An MCS nightmare. Chris Markham, the man on my Fragrance-Free Workplaces film who has horrendous coughing spasms, has a terrible fall.
This story appears in my 2008 book Amputated Lives: Coping with Chemical Sensitivity. Linda's case of multiple chemical sensitivity and chronic fatigue syndrome was a particularly extreme one, and her husband gives a poignant and insightful account of the frustrations she encountered with a range of chemical exposures, including to fragrances and fabric softeners. A … Continue reading Linda Grommes’s story, as told by her husband